Monday, October 13, 2008

Birthday Happies!

It's my birthday today so I'm playing hooky from work! Well, not really. My boss knew in advance that I wouldn't be there...so I guess that's not really hooky. I'm having lunch with a friend and getting a massage later today! I can't wait!

I had a nice relaxing weekend. Didn't do that much. Socialized with a few friends, got a few presents. You know, normal birthday stuff. Went out for dinner, and had a major cheat day yesterday....and the scale only says I'm up 1.2 lbs! Yay for me! My friend Bree gave me the book "Twilight" for my birthday, which I've heard a lot about....so I guess I'm joining that cult.

Speaking of books, I got a chance to read most of Drew Ferguson's book The Screwed Up Life of Charlie the Second this weekend. If you get a chance, read it. It's a great book. I guess Drew listens to podcasts, so he offered to send us each autographed books to read, and we are participating in a podcaster's book club. I'm recording with Archerr tomorrow, and David That Blue Jeans Guy later this week. I think it's really cool. Who'd guess an author listens to our silly show? :-)

I've started getting some presents from my Amazon wish list, which is really awesome! I'm really thankful for all my friends that I've met online, many of whom I've had a chance to meet in person! You have all touched me and enriched my life, and I'm grateful for you!

It sounds like my birthday will be celebrated for most of this month, and who doesn't like that?!? I'm going up to see my Grandpa in Park Rapids, MN next weekend. Who doesn't love an extended celebration? I know I do! I'm really excited to go see my Grandpa. I adore him so much! He is the one person in the world who only sees the positives in me. I'm perfect to him in every way. He makes me feel loved in it's purest form. He also spoils me with yummy junk food, and worries that I don't eat enough. (yes, I was a picky eater when I was little...obviously I outgrew it, but he still worries) I think I'll go to Grandpa's after work on Friday. It's a 3.5-4 hour drive, and I think I'll come home Sunday afternoon. Nick's family are having a birthday party for me on Sunday evening, so I wouldn't want to miss presents.

The following weekend I'm having dinner with my friend Susan, so the birthday celebration continues at least until then. :)

Now the negatives; Nick's parents are scheduled to arrive in Minneapolis from North Carolina this Wednesday! Ugh. I guess it's his cousin's wedding this coming weekend. I don't know his cousin, and I've been excused from having to attend. I'm really grateful for this because I really HATE going to Nick's dad's side of the family. There are a lot of really weird people who don't know much about boundaries. The last time I attended one of these family functions, his aunt Marcella, who I've only met once before this, at my wedding, felt the need to ask me about my gynecological health. Really? Is this appropriate conversation to make with a virtual stranger over a 4th of July picnic? Yeah, I didn't think so either. I'm not sensitive about my health problems at all. I really couldn't care less, but it was just so invasive because I don't even know whis woman. (Nick's mother loves to call everyone she's ever met and gossip about this kind of thing. Ugh) At the time, I had just had 2 miscarriages, but since then I've had a tubal pregnancy rupture, and emergency surgery. I'm sure that would be a wonderful topic of conversation for the wedding reception, right? I mean who doesn't love feeling like a medical freak of nature among strangers? No, thanks. I think I'll head to my Grandpa's house and steer clear of the crazies.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!

My aunt lives in Park Rapids. I am going to be in MN from the 31st to the 3rd but only up in the Northwest. I fly in MSP and drive up. I-94 exit 1 here I come!

Mandie said...

Happy Birthday to you wonderful Princess Holly I hope you get everything you want and that you have fun with your grandpa. XOXO
Mandie

Kelley said...

Happy Birthday Holly ! Don't let the in-laws get you down . Me - I just smile and nod at whatever they say ... and then pretend they don't exist when they aren't around. Is that wrong? Oh well!

[LaLa] Lauren said...

What, you don't want to tell the world about your lady bits? *sigh. i don't see why not.