Tuesday, March 25, 2008

In a funk.

I got a phone call today. It was my co-worker and friend Melissa calling to tell me that my company announced today that everyone is being forced to take off 1 day per week without pay for the next 3 months. (I love getting crappy news from work on the last day of a vacation, don't you?) In all honesty, I'm not surprised. The economy is in ruins, and my business is luxury. I am positive it won't be any better in 3 months, either. In fact, I would bet it will be worse. Much, much worse.

I'm scared.

When I started in the jewelry industry, there were many jewelry companies in the area. Now there are 2, and I've worked for both. Both are cutting employee hours. (although our competitor is only cutting from 8 hours a day to 7)

I'm sad.

I have to figure out something else to do, because my industry has fizzled due to the economy or moved overseas, and I don't know what other marketable talents I have. I guess I'm going to look locally for jobs as a buyer, or move to New York.

I'm stressed out.

4 comments:

Michael said...

I'm sorry for the bad news... Changes at work are never easy. All my best to you.

Ryan said...

Hugs Holly! Keep your head up!!!!!

Unknown said...

I hate that we've gone to a consumer economy and are no longer a manufacturing economy. I think it cripples us. All that out-sourcing. *shudder*

You are intelligent and resourceful, you'll find something else to do. At least you're forewarned and not just suddenly losing your job.

Walt said...

The brightside is you're not unemployed. Hopefully this will only be a three month inconvenience. But think about this. They're giving you an extra day a week off to go find another job. You won't have to take any extra time off to go on interviews, right?